Thursday, February 5, 2015

Figurative Busts

I found some cool sculptures and I wanted to share them.

I had a discussion a while back with one of my teachers in which we compared the merits of sculptural busts as portraiture or as figurative sculpture. I was using the term "Portrait busts" to mean any bust that is supposed to look like a model. He used the term differently and I realized that the kind of busts I'm interested in making were more correctly called figurative sculptures. He told me that not all figurative sculpture had to be full figures but that one could just be a part of the figure. I thought these busts illustrate that pretty well.










These works are all by Richard MacDonald who has the privilege of  using the Cirque du Soleil performers as his models. He makes some pretty awesome sculptures like this one on the left which is incredibly dynamic, but even the busts I'v been showing are figurative sculptures.

  They express emotion and have movement to them for the most part. Even this one, which isn't too dynamic is made a lot more interesting because of the inclusion of the ball on his shoulder.




 Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Great choices! slight changes in the traditional portrait posture or pose brings more emotion making these sculptures strong!

    ReplyDelete